Marathon Couples Therapy
What is Marathon Couples Therapy?
Marathon Couples therapy is an intensive form of couples counseling that occurs over a period of 3 consecutive days, usually a weekend using Gottman Method. Marathon Couples therapy allows couples to dive deeply into their issues without the frustration of the “start and stop” feeling of weekly sessions.
In general you will meet for 5-6 hours each day with breaks built in for lunch, reflection, and individualized activities.
Who is Marathon Counseling good for?
- Couples recovering from an affair or other type of major betrayal.
- Couples that are on the brink of divorce or separation.
- Couples that have limited time for weekly sessions.
- Couples that are discerning whether they would like to stay together or part ways.
- Long distance couples that are not always in the same city or state.
- Couples that are frustrated with weekly, traditional format sessions.
How is this different from other types of couples therapy?
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy has a huge focus on process over content. This means that during our time together we work to help you make the process of your relationship better through giving you tools that you can continue to use.
- Prior to your scheduled 3-day we will send you The Gottman Relationship Check up. This assessment provides us with a depth of information not usually available until 3 sessions into traditional therapy. Our Marathon therapists are approved to provide this assessment.
- The format (long and intense) allows couples to take the time they need to truly discuss and express the issues they’ve been having. This gives the therapist an opportunity to uncover the very core of the issue.
Where do we meet for the Marathon sessions?
Most marathon sessions are held in our Center City, Philadelphia office. We are also available for travel in certain situations. Please inquire upon contacting us if this is something you may be interested in.
What is the Gottman Method?
To learn more, click here.
Our Intensive Couples Therapy Therapists:
Elizabeth Earnshaw, LMFT is Gottman Level 3 trained and consults directly with Don Cole, The Clinical Director, of The Gottman Institute. Elizabeth is passionate about helping couples overcome challenging issues (especially those long held resentments and pain points) so that they can connect and create intimacy within their partnership. She has extensive experience working with issues of betrayal. Elizabeth has worked with hundreds of couples, for thousands of hours, for 10 years and she has seen relationships overcome incredibly challenging situations and recovering. She hopes this for you too.
Fee: 2 Days: $2,200, 3 Days: $3,000.00
Ariel Stern, LPC is Gottman Level 3 trained and consults directly with Don Cole, The Clinical Director of The Gottman Institute. Ariel has extensive training working with couples in especially challenging situations, like substance use issues and postpartum issues. She is passionate about helping young parents learn to navigate the challenge of parenthood. She has over 10 years of experience and has worked with couples for thousands of hours to help them develop more loving and successful relationships.
Fee: 2 Days: $2,200.00, 3 Days $3,000.00
Deirdre Cosgrove, LMFT is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Deirdre is trained to Gottman Level 2. Deirdre is also Certified in eco-systemic therapy which helps her to understand the entire context of your relationship – this means she gets that a relationship is multifaceted and that issues did not develop in a “vacuum”. There are many experiences, challenges, and systems within your world that might have made your relationship develop the issues you are now facing. She is passionate about supporting you in feeling more connected, more forgiving, and more gentle with each other.
Fee: 2 Days: $1,200, 3 Days $1,800.00
Emma Carpenter, MA is a Gottman Level 2 therapist under the supervision of Elizabeth Earnshaw, LMFT. Emma specializes in working with millennial couples facing stressors around prolonged higher education, financial difficulties due to debt or starting new careers, delayed “life moves” (buying a house, getting married, having children, etc), and infidelity and insecurity involving social media. She is passionate about helping couples learn tools to navigate through life and stay connected.
Fee: is $1,000 for 2 days, $1,500 for 3 days.
All intensive marriage therapy sessions are held in our Philadelphia offices and are scheduled to best fit your schedule. We understand that it can be challenging to find the time to give 2 full days to your relationship but in our experience it is worth it. We have seen couple after couple truly benefit from the experience they have spending time with each other to unravel their relationship issues in a safe and supportive environment.
Ready to schedule an intensive couples therapy session? Have more questions? E-mail us. We are here for you.